The EMPOLLEX programme focuses on exchanges in the field of marine pollution preparedness & response. There are five major areas of expertise within the field of at-sea preparedness & response which are suggested areas of focus for the exchange to take place.
The expert’s objectives for the exchange should also fall within these 5 areas:
- Coordination & incident management: (inter)national coordination, decision-making, crisis management & communication.
- Technical expertise/ response operations: response to pollution by oil or HNS at sea, including aerial & satellite surveillance, health & safety, response equipment & waste management aspects.
- Contingency & emergency planning: national & regional marine pollution contingency planning, preparedness & response aspects.
- Legal & financial aspects: enforcement & prosecution of deliberate marine pollution, claims, cost recovery.
- Scientific & environmental expertise: environmental, impact evaluations or studies, remote sensing, mathematical modelling, monitoring & oil sample analysis, net environmental benefit analysis.